Saturday, April 25, 2015

Sayonara

This was a bittersweet day.  As we made our way back to Tokyo from Kyoto at over 300 km/hr it really hit me that in a relatively short amount of time, Jes and I had seen and learned quite a bit.  Our last day would take place in once of the busiest prefectures of Tokyo, the entertainment district of Shibuya.   Famous for its shopping and more so for the scramble crossing featured in so many cinematographic shots of Tokyo.  We checked in to our hotel, the luxurious Cerulean Tower but could only check our luggage as our room wouldn't be ready for another few hours, taking this opportunity to explore.

It was at this point that I was able to guilt Jesse into letting us hop on yet another subway to go visit a landmark I didn't have the time to see on our first few days in Tokyo, the Imperial Palace.  The Imperial Palace grounds themselves are closed to the public except on special occasions but tourists are able to roam around the Imperial Palace's East Garden on a daily basis.  Although the East Gardens are impressive in their own right, I still expected to be able to actually SEE the Imperial Palace itself.  But no.  Nothing.  Not even a glimpse.  Best I could do was pull up an aerial shot from Google Earth.  Slightly disappointed, we made our way back to our hotel as we would now be able to get our room.

When planning this trip I decided to splurge on this hotel as it would be our last night here and the views were said to be extraordinary.  The website pics would not do it justice.  And unfortunately, my pics won't do this view justice either.  From the 27th floor we're staring at city scape as far as the horizon, giving us a real grasp as to the true gargantuan footprint of this magnificent city...and that's just from one side of the building.

I had a short nap then we walked towards Harajuku which is a fashion district where teens hang out in far out clothing, resembling more cosplay getups from comicon then every day attire... that's what japan-guide.com had to say about it anyway.  What we saw wasn't too crazy except for a few that stood out... but not enough to take out the camera to snap a shot.  Plenty of shopping though, with high end stores such as Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Marc Jacobs, etc...  Jac would've enjoyed herself here.  This would be where Jes and I would have our last Sushi meal in Japan.  But first we made sure that the chefs behind the counter were at least 60 years old.

Our final stop would be to the Statue of Hachico.  This is a statue that Jes really wanted to see.  He explained to me the legend behind this statue is that.... something.... something... then something else...  Anyway, now I'm here, writing what is sure to be my last entry in this blog from Japan itself.

It is a bittersweet day.  A bittersweet entry.  As much as I've enjoyed this beautiful and amazingly rich culture and country, I do miss home.  I miss my beautiful wife like crazy and the comforts of my own very beautiful and amazingly rich country.  I feel extremely lucky that I had the chance to take this trip, in the way that I was able to, and to have had the opportunity to share this experience with my son.

So finally, to you my new friend;  The land of of vending machines and umbrellas, and umbrella vending machines.  The land of bullet trains, cable trains, subway trains, and more trains. Of dormant but so alive volcanoes and record breaking roller coasters.  To the land of men in suits, women in suits, garbage men in suites, and cab drivers in suits.  You brought us sushi, and rice, and Takoyaki... mmmm. Takoyaki, you delicious balls of octopus and fried dough you.  You're the country that gave us Ninjas, and Samurais, and Karate Kid... ok, maybe that was Hollywood.... but you gave us Karate and that's pretty cool too.  You also gave us Shiatsu massage... and who could forget... Penis massages.  I salute you Japanese architects who created the 8 story shopping centres, 8 story arcades, and 8 story record stores.  I see you, you 60 year old man in a suit reading that comic book of animated girls being fisted by giant squid.  It's all good, I don't judge.  And lets not forget the video game urinals and the heated toilet seats that also wash your bum when your done.  But most of all I thank you, Land of The Rising Sun for giving us the most humble, polite, and welcoming people I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing.  I really do hope I get to see you again some day but if not, I say to you, good afternoon, good evening, and Sayonara.

Domo Arigato Gozaimasu Japan!

Panorama from our 27th floor room... You can't even see where the city ends. It goes on forever.

Anyone go see Sky Mission yet?

Our hotel

Hey why not. I'm on vacation!

At the gates of the Imperial Palace East Gardents


Our last Sushi Restaurant in Japan :-(

Rare sea creature.  Raw of course.

Scramble crossing in action

Jesse and the statue of Hachico

And then this happened.... Yes, that's a man and his 8 cats in a baby carriage.

Our view at night.

1 comment:

  1. Mat and Jes,

    Thank you for providing your experience, memories and pictures into such an amazingly rich culture for which many either don't know, don't care or may never get the chance to actually experience.

    It's incredible to see through your eyes this beautiful cony try, but also to see how a dad and a son took the time to take a leap and experience a once in a lifetime opportunity together!

    I hope the memories you've made stay with you forever and the bond between father and son has deepened and that you guys will always enjoy those amazing memories!

    Safe travels - see you soon!!

    ReplyDelete